The Isle of Wight is the perfect destination for cycling with endless cycle routes throughout the Island, both on and off road. Red Funnel have joint forces with Top Gear Rentals Ltd, a fantastic bike hire company on the Island, to offer you an easy way to pre-book cycle hire for your visit to the Island.
Top Gear Hire Ltd are a family run business in Cowes who offer excellent customer service and great prices.
Top Gear Hire Ltd can supply Front Suspension Mountain Bikes designed to do on or off road work and can supply specialist items such as Tag alongs, Trailers tents and Tandems, as well as cycling essentials such as helmets, locks, pumps and tool kits.
Once you have booked cycle hire below, you will receive a confirmation email from Red Funnel - simply hand this to Top Gear Hire Ltd at 1 Terminus Road, Cowes, PO31 7TX.
- Bookings must be made by at least 3pm if for next day. Unfortunately same day bookings cannot be accepted.
- Cycles are available 7 days a week from 0900-1700 hrs (shop closes at 1800 hrs) although the offer is not available 25-28 May; 21-24 June and 24-27 August 2018. There are no time restrictions applying to Red Jet sailings used.
- Cycles are provided by Top Gear Rentals Ltd of Terminus Road, Cowes, PO31 7TX 01983 299056 (near the Pier View pub and within a few minutes walk of the Red Jet terminal at West Cowes)
- After booking, your order will be sent to TopGear Rentals and you will receive a Red Funnel confirmation by email. Please print your confirmation and show it to Red Jet ticket office staff (at Terminal 2, Town Quay, Southampton) who will issue day return Red Jet ticket(s). On arrival at Top Gear's premises in West Cowes please show staff the confirmation email and they will issue you with your cycle(s).
- Equipment includes: Front suspension 26" wheel mountain bikes with between 18-24 speeds and V Brakes. (Kid's bikes have a 24" wheel). Each cycling party will be furnished with a rucksack containing enough locks for the group, a pump, puncture repair kit, tyre levers and basic tools for readjusting saddle heights.
- Have a great day!
Click on the links below to open a PDF with a map and details of the cycle route
Route 1 - Yarmouth (9 miles)
An easy route, mainly on the road.
Route 2 - Yarmouth (12 miles)
Longer, but still fairly easy cycling on both cycleway and country lanes.
Route 3 - Cowes (9 miles)
An easy, mostly flat ride (after the one hill at East Cowes).
Route 4 - Cowes (16 miles)
This route incorporates the perfectly flat Medina Cycleway between Cowes and Newport which is perfect for going on a short 'there and back' ride. Route 4 also incorporates a bit of offroad cycling in the majestic woodland of Parkhurst Forest.
Route 5 - Brighstone (10 miles)
An excellent introduction to mountain biking, this route is easy to follow and gives wonderful views of the West Wight. Look out for the Mottistone Longstone which has been on Mottistone Down since the Bronze Age.
Route 6 - Brighstone (12 miles)
A figure of eight ride from Brighstone along gently undulating country lanes to Chale.
Route 7 - Ryde (15 miles)
Explore the landscape of hedgerows and woods that lie behind Ryde. Follow the cycleways and stop off at Brading for refreshments.
Route 8 - Ryde (15 miles)
An easy, longer ride combining coast and countryside around the eastern side of the Island.
Route 9 - Newport (10 miles)
The first part of this ride is along the Sandown cycleway - go there and back to Merstone for an easy ride. Based off road, on cycleways and along quiet country lanes, this route is great for beginners.
Route 10 - Carisbrooke (12 miles)
A fairly easy ride on country lanes through the rural heart of the Island. Pay a visit to medieval Carisbrooke Castle which is en route!
Route 11 - Sandown (5 miles)
A short, fairly easy ride taking you through the wildlife-rich wetland of Eastern Yar. This route starts at Dinosaur Isle - why not stop off there and meet some of the Island's prehistoric residents?
Route 12 - Shanklin (12 miles)
There are two big hills on this route, but they're well worth it for the interest and variety on the ride! Ride along chocolate box country lanes and cycleways which take you along the Island's southern coast.