Travelling with your dog
Your dog is a part of your family so of course you want to bring them with you. We welcome accompanied dogs on ALL our ferries, FREE of charge. There is no need to pre-book or obtain a ticket.
We are also pleased to provide a designated pet lounge, complete with bowls of water and complimentary dog biscuits, in the North Lounge on board Red Osprey, Red Falcon and Red Eagle. This lounge is located on the upper passenger ‘A Deck’ on all three vessels. Dogs are always welcome on the outer passenger decks, which we find is often the most enjoyable space for our 4-legged guests. Do consider bringing a coat and enjoy the spectacular exterior views of the Solent alongside your furry friend!
Please note, as the ferry can be an unfamiliar place, we do have a few rules to help ensure a safe, smooth crossing for you, your dog, and everyone else.
Carriage of Dogs Policy:
- Dogs must be restrained by a harness or collar and on a lead whilst on board.
- On the Southampton < > East Cowes service, dogs are only permitted on the outside decks (Decks A & AA) and in the designated pet lounges on the upper 'A Deck'.
- Dogs must keep off seats or and must not obstruct the emergency exists.
- Owners must ensure that their dog does not cause a nuisance to other passengers or the vessel’s crew. We strongly advise owners of aggressive or nervous dogs to fit a muzzle while around other passengers.
- To allow for 'calls of nature', customers are recommend to allow sufficient time to exercise their dog before arriving at the terminal and boarding the vessel.
- If a dog fouls the passenger accommodation or passenger gangways, a cleaning charge of £50 will be levied on the owner. Failure to pay this penalty to the Cabin Attendant or adhere to the Policy may result in our refusal to permit travel in future.
- If leaving your dog inside your vehicle, PLEASE ensure to keep your vehicle well-ventilated by rolling the windows down, and ensure to leave water. Your dog will be alone for approximately 45 min.
Plan your visit with help from real dog owners
The Isle of Wight is a dog owner’s paradise! Many of the local residents have dogs and the Island is renowned for its welcoming attitude and general dog-friendliness. To help you make the most of your Island visit we’ve rounded up some of the most enthusiastic, knowledgeable dog lovers to share their local tips and insights.
Visit our “Isle of…Woof!” page to learn more about the best dog-friendly:
- Walking routes
- Places to eat
- And more…
Win doggie treats
We love dogs just as much as you, and we LOVE seeing your photos! Post the best pics of your dog sailing on board one of our Red Funnel ferries (or enjoying the Isle of Wight) and TAG us in the post for a chance to win, in our #IsleofWoof contest