A walk down the Shanklin Chine after dark when hundreds of different coloured lights illuminate the narrow paths, streams and waterfalls, is a magical journey. You expect pixies to peek out from the side of the pathways or fairies to fly across the deep ravine as you walk toward the seashore.
Shanklin Chine celebrated its 200th anniversary year in 2017 making it the Island’s longest established tourist attraction. Millions of visitors have passed through the stunning tree-lined gorge, gazing at it’s breathtaking natural beauty...an inspiration to generations of visitors for two Centuries.
There are few places on the Isle of Wight, let alone the UK that can boast such a tranquil & picturesque location. The Chine is a Sight of Important Nature Conservation - natural spectacle carved over hundreds of years.
Amaze at the luscious semi-tropical planting, pretty little bridges and a high waterfall dropping from the top. There’s a drop of 32m (105ft) to sea level in just over a quarter of a mile as you descend and it covers an area of around three acres, but don't worry there are benches to rest your legs and take in the views and you might even see the tame robin or inquisitive squirrel if you’re lucky.
You can walk down to the beach and back again after the sun has gone down. Maybe you could take supper at the Fisherman’s Cottage pub at the mouth of the Chine and wander back through the enchanted light display.
With Seasonal Exhibitions to view, indulge yourself with fresh home-made cakes, scones and tea, inside or outside at the tea shop and be sure to visit the Nature and Heritage displays Gift Shop.
Music in the Chine - Tuesdays & Thursday during July and August.
"The wondrous Chine here is a very great lion; I wish I had as many guineas as there have been spyglasses in it"
John Keats - July 1819"
- open daily from 8 April to 3 November 2019
- generally opens at 10:00 - please check the calendar on the left for specific days and times
- 30 minutes before closing time
- the Chine does not have its own car park, so please use the Vernon Meadow car park just a few minutes walk away in the Old village (PO37 6AQ) or along Shanklin Esplanade (PO37 6BH)
- the walk from the top of the chine to the bottom is at times steep and with steps so unsuitable for wheelchair users
- children aged 4 and under are free of charge
- serving fresh home-made cakes, scones and hot and cold drinks
- well stocked gift shop at the bottom of the chine
We hope you enjoy your visit and don't forget to tweet a pic
( @RedFunnel @shanklin_chine)
Shanklin Chine Address: 3 Chine Hill, Shanklin, Isle of Wight, PO37 6BW